Redbox has definitely been in the news quite a bit lately. A lot has happened over the last year (and over the last 5 years) that has gotten Redbox to where they are today. Lets recap some of the most recent developments:
- McDonald’s and other shareholders sold their interests in Redbox, making Redbox a wholly-owned subsidiary of Coinstar.
- Redbox leadership changed quite a bit, with a new President, COO and other top executives.
- Over the past year they have expanded into nearly 18,000 locations, with that number expected to increase beyond 20,000 by the end of the year, giving them 14% market share in the DVD rental business.
- They have been involved in a lawsuit with Universal that could have a big effect on how much control a studio can have over a DVD once it is made and sold to distributors and wholesalers. And, just this week, Fox has thrown itself into this issue.
- We have seen Redbox make some new deals with studios like Sony, Disney and Lionsgate which helps protect their business and preserves $1 rentals for consumers.
- We have seen fewer “Monday” promo codes, but we are now seeing expanded promotions with many retailers and other companies.
- Redbox has started to embrace the latest internet technologies by creating an official blog, a Facebook page, and a Twitter account. While we here at Inside Redbox have had these for quite some time, it is nice to see Redbox finally embrace them, too.
- Redbox has allowed us to create the “Inside Redbox Mobile” app for the iPhone, making Redbox easier to use than ever on the world’s most popular mobile devices.
- Redbox has introduced Blu-ray rentals and video games into limited locations.
With all of this going on, Redbox is definitely not done and has quite a bit in store for us in the future. What kinds of things, you ask? Well, stay tuned for part 2 of this 3 part series to see what is coming right around the corner. And, part 3 will dive into the little bit more distant future, which may take Redbox to a place you may not be expecting.
In the meantime, do you have anything to add to the above list? Is there something I missed? Let me know in the comments…